Thursday, May 5, 2011

Bee's, Bee's, and More Bee's

 Bee's !!  That little word can put fear into some people. My Husband is one of those people. He does not like bees! He had a bad experience growing up. I too had a bad experience as a kid. I was stung on the boob when I was in the 6th grade. I was riding my bike and a bee flew up my shirt and stung me. I was so embarrassed. Think about it, you’re already confused about all the changes that are going on with your body and now a bee has stung you on a body part that you don't quite understand why you have. Now you have to lift up your shirt to show your parents!


Over the past year I have gotten my husband to be O.K. with adding a bee hive to the farm. We put the hive in our garden. I bought the bees from Trees and Bees and the Honey and Hive Company put the hive in for me. Over the summer the H&H Co. will teach me how to take care of the hive. Here is the process.


 The bee's arrived in the back of a car.  One box will be put in our hive. The other 4 are going to a CSA down the street.


       This is how the bees are shipped from California



                  Alf, our goat, wants to know what's going on.






 Pulling the Queen bee out of the box.


The Queen is shipped in a wood and wire box. There is a wood plug at one end. You replace the wood plug with a marshmallow then put the box in the hive. The other bees will eat through the marshmallow to release the queen.


Dumping the bees in the hive. What a way to be welcomed home.


         At this point the bees are mad. They are flying everywhere.


                      A little fact:: Bees don't poop where they live. ( I wish my dog knew that). The brown line on  the fence is bee poop.


                                  Home sweet home!



                                                        




1 comment:

  1. Yay for BEES! Send H&H over, I want some bees too!

    ReplyDelete