Wednesday, April 18, 2012

You blink...and its April.

 I can blame my busy life as the reason for not posting anything and that would be somewhat  true. But to be totally honest, its been a tough couple of months on the farm. I have been trying to figure out how to tell the story if I decided to.  But then my friend sent me Soul Mamas blog and it made me feel better about the sad events that have happened.  And maybe I'm being to hard on myself.  So here I go.


It started with us rescuing two lambs from a lady who saved them from a slaughter house. Within 8 hours of having them home we knew something was wrong with the little girl.  We called the vet out and for two weeks we tried to save her. We had to give IVs twice a day, in addition to five different medicines.  In the end she died in my husbands arms.  It was shocking and so sad.



This is Lucky, on the ground ,the ram lamb who is doing great and is now outside. And Ziva in our Daughters arms

Lucky- Loving the attention and I loved it too.



Soon after we lost Ziva,  one of our Southdown baby doll sheep miscarriage.  Once again we were shocked and very sad. We were able to get the placenta and fetus over to  WSU, over on the other side of the state to have tests done.  All test came back negative and they think the cause was the fact the Sugar is a new mother.  We have waited two years for our two ewes to give birth and my heart just felt heavy after these two loses.


Our sweet, shy Sugar.


 Finally, Some hope and happiness. Licorice, our other ewe gave birth to a ram on March 23rd.




We were so happy to have a healthy baby. We will be selling him when he is old enough. This  little guy brought hope back for me.

How hard its been, we are thankfully for having these experiences, we have learned so much.


1 comment:

  1. It's so hard, isn't it? It can feel like no matter how hard you try and how well you plan, the unexpected still smacks you upside the head. The learning curve is very, very steep sometimes.

    Your animals, whether they are with you for a lifetime or a moment, are incredibly lucky to be cared for by you. I hope your seasons of farming are not as hard as they have been and, if they are, we are still cheering you on!

    -Janya

    ReplyDelete